Sidewalk Rehabilitation Program
The City of Murphy has a comprehensive network of sidewalks providing a vital connection link to our neighborhoods, parks, schools, the businesses and adjoining cities. Over time, concrete sidewalks are susceptible to cracking, spalling (chunks of concrete displaced), settling and heaving. As our sidewalks age and become deteriorated they create safety problems for pedestrians. In order to eliminate these hazardous sections, the City of Murphy has developed a Sidewalk Replacement Program. Since 2020 our Sales Use Tax has provided a funding source for this program.
Throughout the year, at the request of the resident, City Staff inspects and evaluates sidewalks for degradation. Upon the evaluation by City Staff, the location will be prioritized to be repaired and/or replaced. Evaluation is based on the following criteria:
- Cracks greater than 1/2 inch wide.
- Crushed panels, cracking throughout the entire surface.
- Trip hazards 2 inches or greater (sunken, raised or ramped).
- Missing whole chunks, large indentations, and loose chunks.
- Spalling over 50% (surface chunks missing, rough).
- Chipped edges or corners.
- Crack less than 1/2 inch wide.
- Trip hazards between 1/2 inch and 2 inches.
- Spalling over 25% of the surface.
- Cracking (spider web with no separation or displacement.)
- Trip hazards less a 1/2 inch.
- Minor spalling (this would warrant a minor repair)
How many locations replaced annually is dependent upon the Sales Use Tax funding source. Selection is prioritized based on public safety criteria as identified by City Staff through inspections and evaluation of each location. To see if you are listed for repairs and/or replacement please see list below. Please note that due to the severity of safety issues at each location, the addition of new locations may alter the prioritization of the list; therefore the addresses listed are not prioritized, but they are in the queue to be completed.
To add your location to the list?
If you do not see your address on the list, proceed to See Click Fix, click on the green add request button, please fill out the request form and your sidewalk will be inspected and evaluated. Prioritization List in Excel or PDF.